LONDON — World Anti-Doping Agency President Craig Reedie said he was confident Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai was “fine” after her withdrawal from the WTA event in Munich on Monday.
Peng withdrew after China’s top tennis match official announced she had been diagnosed with an intestinal illness.
Peng was pulled out with a gastric upset that has also led to the exits of a Japanese and a South Korean player, reports Reuters.
Reedie said Monday she had asked to be taken to the hospital for treatment after refusing to get off the court during her tournament opener.
Chinese Tennis Association President Sun Weide said the decision was made after Peng “struggled since the beginning of the tournament to keep up with the training load.”
“She’s a very strong competitor. I think it’s a big disappointment that she has to be taken to hospital.
“I hope she’s fine. She’s a very, very important player on the WTA Tour. We certainly hope she’ll be back at the next tournament (in Dusseldorf) in the strongest possible shape,” said Reedie, speaking at the WTA’s spring training.
Peng, the world No. 41, had shown very little sign of being unwell until after the conclusion of her match, after which Sun said she was in “serious” condition.