Image copyright EPA Image caption President Hassan Rouhani has expressed his condolences after the strong quake
The death toll from an earthquake that struck Iran-Iraq border region has risen to one, Iranian state media has reported.
The latest body was found in an area where more than 50 were injured, Press TV says.
Iranian state TV quoted the country’s deputy foreign minister, Hossein Amir Abdollahian, as saying some 3,000 houses had been damaged.
He said the Iranian Red Crescent Society was dealing with relief efforts.
Tuesday’s 6.3 magnitude quake, felt in several cities in eastern Iran, struck just after midday (1000 GMT).
The city of Zahedan was reportedly the closest to the epicentre of the quake. The wounded were transported to the city’s city hospital.
The Red Crescent and the city council of Zahedan said on its official social media account they were working with doctors, ambulances and rescue workers to help the injured.
Images published by the state TV showed rescue workers, women in headscarves weeping, paramedics and soldiers marching along streets and emergency teams stretchering the injured.
The UN said it was “closely monitoring” the response and that it was making contact with the Iranian authorities.
Report by Iranian state television